Community service can be performed at any time for any reason. Although meaningful community service often leads to transformative learning, this connection becomes explicit in service learning. Service activities are embedded within academic classes and are meant to help participants achieve specific learning goals.
How is service learning different from other courses?
Service-learning volunteers are different from other volunteers in various ways. On a basic level, they differ because their work with you is part of a university class. … The other difference is that there are learning objectives connected to these students’ work with you.
What is community service learning?
Community Service Learning is an approach to teaching and learning in which students use academic knowledge and skills to address genuine community needs.
What exactly is service learning?
Service Learning is an educational approach where a student learns theories in the classroom and at the same time volunteers with an agency (usually a non-profit or social service group) and engages in reflection activities to deepen their understanding of what is being taught.
What are examples of service learning?
Types of Service-Learning
- Tutoring other students and adults.
- Conducting art/music/dance lessons for youth.
- Giving presentations on violence and drug prevention.
- Helping in a homeless shelter.
- Creating life reviews for Hospice patients.
What are the 4 components of service learning?
Key Components of Service-Learning
- Preparation. …
- Action. …
- Reflection. …
- Self – What are you feeling? …
- Other – Whom did you serve? …
- World – What new questions do you have of your world? …
- Assessment: …
- Assessment of Assets and Needs (before service)
What are the types of community services?
Examples of community service providers:
- Child care professionals.
- Churches and spiritual organizations.
- Cultural organizations.
- Counseling services – substance abuse, domestic violence, financial, legal services.
- Crisis intervention – rape, mental health.
- Health insurance companies.
- Libraries – books and toys.
What is direct community service?
Direct Service is service that direct affects the persons, animals or parks we want to impact. This may include volunteering or cleaning up a park. Indirect Service might take the form of fundraising or collections.
What are the qualities of service learning?
6 qualities of service-learning
What is the purpose of service learning?
Develops critical thinking skills: Through service-learning, students learn to reflect on their experiences and develop critical-thinking skills, such as the ability to bring disparate elements of experience together in meaningful ways, to analyze information for patterns and deeper meaning, and to make evaluations and …